Tuesday 9 April 2013

Letter to the Editor


I wrote this letter to the editor recently and it was published. It was in response response to Gordon Manville's letter to the editor, wherein he insisted on the necessity of fluoride for maintaining healthy teeth. 


"I have only been part of the anti-fluoride battle for a short time, and I am already tired of “science”. This is not a scientific disagreement. This is a battle between right and wrong, Gordon, between good and evil. It is a war between freedom and oppression.

 I find it extremely contradictory that you express great concern about public dental health, while making a living selling slurpees and every imaginable tooth destroying confection at your convenience store. If people have the right to destroy their teeth with highly acidic, dangerously sugary garbage, then why don’t they have the freedom to destroy their teeth by refusing fluoride? If you have the interests of others, it certainly doesn’t show by your actions.

However, I would like to step outside the box for a moment and make a bold claim. I simply don’t care how “well educated” or how “recognized” anybody is. Well known, prominent doctors have been making terrible public health decisions in the name of “cutting edge” science for over a century. DDT, asbestos, cigarettes, tetra-ethyl lead, CFC’s, Freon, arsenic, and thousands of pharmaceutical concoctions have been approved as harmless, or even beneficial, by our “institutes of research”. I just don’t care. I don’t trust scientists because they don’t have a clean rap sheet.

I am certain of this; it is unethical to force your public health ideals down my throat. I don’t want them, and I should have a choice. Your science is worthless drivel. If I don’t want fluoridation, I should have the freedom to opt out. If you want fluoride poisoning, then take some pills or shoot it in your veins. Make your choices and I will make mine."



I am tired of people suggesting that the most effective way to improve dental health is to ingest a harmful drug, when it is much more effective to eat whole foods and drink clean water. But, we do all have choices to make. RIGHT?

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Martin!! And if we are really interested in curing dental carries, and also diabetes, then lets get the sugar out of our diet!! Look at the data during WW ll when sugar wasn't available! It costs lots of money to add fluoride to our water. And then it costs me lots more to get it out of my drinking water. Money better spent on public health in many other ways! Those who want to ingest or bathe their teeth in fluoride can do so at their own expense!!
    Satchi

    ReplyDelete